Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Korean teen Noh eyes major glory

He has a golf swing his fellow pros, let alone amaterus, would cry for, he is one of the hottest players in Asia and he is reaching for the stars.

Korean teenage sensation Noh Seung-yul made history this year by becoming the youngest player, at 19 years and 204 days, to win the Asian Order of Merit race, winning one tournament and garnering four other top-10 finishes.

He said he wants to become the second Asian to win a major title, following in the footsteps of compatriot Yang Yong-eun, who won the 2009 PGA Championship.

"To become the youngest Asian Tour number one, it's very nice," Noh was quoted as saying by AFP. "But in the future, there may be other younger players who will become younger than me at 19 years old to win the Order of Merit.

"In five years time, I want to start contending in the Majors. I am not in a hurry but I would like to become the second Asian to win a Major.

"The Order of Merit victory will get me into the British Open next year and if I stay in the top-100 in the world, I will also qualify for the PGA Championship and I will try to qualify for the US Open as well."

Noh first played in the Asian Tour as a 16-year-old after emerging through qualifying school and won a title that same year.

For 2011, he wants to win a tournament on the European Tour as well as attempt to get into the US PGA Tour.

Pic: ubshongkongopen

No comments:

Post a Comment