Thursday, December 2, 2010

Golf swing basics: left arm straight

For a long time, I had a singular problem with my golf swing. I was consistently hooking the ball.

Ironically, this quirk was particularly bad when I hit the ball cleanly with my driver. I may have hit the sweet spot but the ball would sail happily to my left all the time.

As I wrote before, someone suggested I stand crooked to the golf ball at address, as opposed to parallel. It worked to some degree but it was not always easy to discern crooked from straight.

It was only when I was having a driving range session with some friends that I was able to fix the problem. My colleague, who had only been playing for about six months, made one tiny suggestion – try to concentrate on keeping my left arm straight in the follow-through.

I did this and, amazingly, it worked. That night at the driving range, there was no one hitting the ball straighter, with more power and with more majesty than yours truly.

Unfortunately, lack of concentration and other factors, especially on the course, means I often forget this principle and succumb to my natural tendency to bend my left arm after impact.

But at least I know how to fix it now.
(picture: scratchgolfschool.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment